I learned how to sew in Colorado in 6th grade Home Economics. We traced concentric circles and square mazes with a treadle sewing machine. I think I made an apron. From then on, I began sewing my own clothing and I still have the machine I received as a high school graduation present. Throughout my 20's I made most of my own clothing for school and work and when my son was born, I made many sets of overalls and shorts with deep pockets for him. I made matching warm up suits for the whole family (big fail!) and Halloween costumes.
My career took me travelling and I spent many, many hours on airplanes. Cross-stitch was sewing I could do while flying and I collected patterns over the years.
This group of booklets reminds me of the baby clothes I embroidered with the "Alphabet Children" and the store-bought sweater I embellished with embroidery.
The Cactus design I used to embroider some squares for a quilt that one of my aunts put together for my Grandmother Mary Emery Schwab.
My eyesight isn't great anymore for counting the tiny squares involved in cross-stitch. You'll find me coloring digital paint by number pictures now on my Google Chromebook. Time marches on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment